Two years ago, I had an idea for a video tutorial series. The focus of this series was to explore creative multimedia in the modern era. With our access to an abundance of both physical & digital resources, I saw an opportunity to motivate people to pursue creative possibilities.
After a couple tutorials I became too “busy” to continue with them. By “busy” I mean that I got bored and it became de-prioritized.
This past month was an opportunity for me to re-envision that idea. This was the process of taking my original ideas and refining them. On a daily basis, this project has become my top priority.
What I Learned
I learned something really valuable, something that I didn’t expect. I learned how to take an idea, and turn it into something real. The execution of an idea had always been something I struggled with. In the past, before I could ever finish a personal project, I’d always want to start a new one.
Now, I have a deeper understanding for the process. While working on the project, I created manageable “Mini-Goals” and slowly chipped away at smaller tasks. This all eventually culminated into the final result
Content Created So Far
- Photogrammetry (3D Design) Tutorial Video Series
- What Is Photogrammetry?
- What Do You Need?
- Capturing Images For Photogrammetry
- Creating a 3D Model Using Photogrammetry (Coming Soon)
- My Project Management Strategy
- How I Started to Create Tutorials
- 20 Gigabytes In Two Weeks
- The Tutorial Soundtrack
My biggest challenge wasn’t time management as I’d originally expected… it was energy management. Having just started a new job, I was not expecting the physical and mental demands of the training.
My second challenge was battling with perfectionism. I had an immensely expansive vision for the video series, so it was a stressful process finding ways to downscale it. After all, I can only humanly do so much. Each video I created took at least 12 hours to create. This includes audio production, video recording, and other content creation tasks. I drove out to physical locations to shoot footage and even created 3D renderings. I’m proud to say that I did the best work I could, during the one month time frame.
The third challenge was more technical. I was overloading my editing software with too many layers of content. This caused instability and frequent crashes. I fixed this by breaking the video up into smaller segments, rendering out those videos, and then eventually merging them together.
My ongoing goal with this project is to become a topical authority in niche multimedia fields. The same way someone might go to Martha Stewart to view home recipes, it’s my goal to become someone that people seek out for creative multimedia content.
Overall, I feel like I’m on track to accomplishing this goal! By continuing with the channel, I’m confident I can gain more viewership and engagement. These videos have already been performing well over the past two weeks.
Here’s some kind comments I received.
This was motivational for me. It made me especially happy that someone liked the creative, more accessible approach I was taking to the series. The comment affirmed my two year long belief that some people would find creative tutorial content more valuable then strictly technical content!
I have no shortage of ideas for future videos. In-fact, I have years of potential content ideas all written down in my journal, and I can’t wait to manifest them into reality.